Coming out of the Quarry Garden we get a splendid view of the Castle.
The Castle was built as an extension to a manor in 1390, modified in 1614 with a Jacobean range on the west side, with a further wing added in 1711 or thereabouts, and was abandoned in 1817. It’s had it’s ups and downs since then, but English Heritage are looking after it now.
There are stairs up to the roof top of the castle’s tower house, and up we went to see the views..
There is a walled area in front of the castle and it has monkey puzzle trees in it..
and one of the walls of the castle has a carved face in the stonework. 😊
Finally the rear view of the castle with the imposing tower house built in 1391 by John Middleton.
Stay tooned for next time and the return through the Quarry Garden.
all pictures embiggenable by clickeration.
Further history HERE.