Into a new week, away from the trauma of selfies, and into the following week of dreaded landscapes. Dreaded because I’m such a fairweather photographer, I don’t like going out in the rain, it makes me miserable, and who wants to be miserable doing a hobby?? But luckily snow happened so I did manage to get out and about. I was hampered a bit by working and getting home too late in the beginning of the week, even though it’s getting lighter in the evenings. I made do with urban landscapes from my windows, but it’s not like this is an exam so it doesn’t really matter. Anyhoo, on with the show!

Day 38 ~ Surprise ~ This week’s theme is landscape photography, which covers a lot of photos with different sub themes–natural landscape, cityscape, urban landscape, abstract, to name just a few. Some mornings you look out the window and are surprised that the sun is going to be shining and it is going to be a beautiful day.  What surprise in the landscape can you show us today? As it happened there were no surprises at all! It was grey and moody all day and still that way when I came home from work. There’d been a smattering of snow/sleet but nothing major.

No surprise

Day 39 ~ Macro Monday ~ Rough ~How do we combine ‘landscape’ with ‘macro’ and also tie in the prompt word “rough”?  Impossible?  Nothing is impossible! I took my camera and macro lens to work with me, there’s a field next to our building and a college behind it and I thought I might find something there in my lunch time. I was quite chuffed with the result.

rough

Day 40 ~ Ambience ~ Light can set the mood or tone of your image. Just think how the ambience of the day can change from sunrise to sunset. Bright days can feel enchanting, cheerful, even optimistic whereas a low light day often feels dreary, moody or even mysterious.  As you go through your day, take notice of the landscape around you at various times. How does the ambience of the day change? Do you prefer the morning or evening light?  I went for evening light due to aforementioned working, and took a night shot with the Iphone, not great quality but quite ambiotic I think!

Ambience

Day 41 ~ Petal ~ We don’t always have the opportunity to capture a typical “beautiful” something, but remember that you will always have the opportunity to capture what’s beautiful from your day.  What petals do you have access to today? Haha petals in February in Northern England, not going to happen. I took my camera for a walk over to the marshland across the way and some petals from the flowers Phil got me the other week. I scattered some on the frozen marsh ponds and took a few shots but didn’t really care for them, plus it felt a bit like cheating! I liked the look of the bullrushes though so I used my lensbaby to blur the edges and isolate them, and they’ll have to stand in for petals.

petal (not 🤣)

Day 42 ~ I think landscape week is the perfect theme for today’s word, spectacular.  We’ve all seen amazing landscape photos that awe us.  I bet there are plenty of magnificent sites in your area.  Show us what spectacular looks like to you. Off to the coast with Phil to have a walk along the cliff face. I was hoping for big splashy wave crashes against the rocks but it wasn’t that kind of day, in the end I used a shot of the beach and Trow rocks. Not sure it’s ‘spectacular’ but I like it.

Spectacular

Day 43 ~ Chilly ~ Today your challenge is to capture a chilly landscape. That could include snow, or ice, or post processing magic. Well any of the shots for this week would count for chilly, but Phil and I went on a walk around the woodlands near us, then I had too many photo’s to choose from!

Chilly

Day 44 ~ Resourceful ~ Landscape photography is a wide open subject, both literally and figuratively.  As the photographer, we have to decide the intended subject, message, or purpose of the image we shoot, beyond being just a pretty picture.  As you photograph a landscape today, do so with intention.  You may also want to try a “less is more” approach and see what happens.  You may be pleasantly surprised! Well that flumoxed me. Resourceful. Hmm “Think of resourceful people as “full of resources,” or tools for coming up with solutions. They adapt well to new or difficult situations and they are able to think creatively. For example, if a snake gets loose in the pet store, a resourceful person will be able to figure out how to lure it back into its cage again“. Really??? I’d run a mile! Well there’s no snakes or pet stores in the vicinity so I had a wander over to the marshlands again and took some pictures there. I found this tree/bush thing with bobbles on it that reminded me of milk chocolate Lindors and I figured whatever the were they would have been a food resource for birds.

Resourceful.

Well that’s another week gone by, and now we are into a colour week again. This time it’s to be pink. (I’m really not a pink kind of person so bear with me!)

and a little treat for any landlubbers, a few seconds of seashore sound 🙂

76 comments on “365 ~ 7th ~ 13th February

1. restlessjo says:

Snow on a beach is always interesting and the sunshine makes that a lovely shot. I also really like the evening one, but I have a bit of an issue with the way your photos don’t brighten till they’re a third of the way off my screen so I never get the full impact. A feature of this theme? 🙂 🙂 Happy Valentine’s!

1. I’m not sure what’s going on there, I don’t think it’s a theme feature as no-one else has mentioned it (as yet!) I’ll have a check of it, thanks for letting me know.

1. restlessjo says:

I noticed it last time and thought it was a deliberate feature so didn’t like to say anything 🙄💕

1. See Pete’s thoughts below, he may have solved the problem.

2. Ich habe es bei meinem Besuch auch bemerkt…

1. Stellen Sie sicher, dass sich Ihr Mauszeiger nicht tatsächlich über dem Foto befindet.

2. Alex Good says:

I love “Ambience.” It’s like a movie set. A horror movie maybe, but still a movie set.
    Back when I took pictures I always loved the dull, foggy days. I think shooting in fog was my favourite thing. Fairweather photography always seems like calendar material to me, and every happy picture looks the same while every sad picture is sad in its own way.

1. I know what you mean, atmospheric conditions work best for moody photos. Never seem to have much fog where I live, mostly rain!

3. Eddy Winko says:

The tide took me back to Jersey, I’m playing ion repeat…I imagine i will fall to sleep soon 🙂

1. Haha you’ve got too much to do!

4. Sue says:

I love your macro in the landscape, ambience is something that chimes with me….Mr du Chemin had us both thinking more about changing light, I think!! All in all, you have proved you are resourceful with these images, Graggle

1. Thanks Sue. Yes I still do du Chemin’s tutorials in the courses I got, he does make you think!

5. Sue says:

Ooops, Fraggle…my fingers are not what they were

1. Haha mine do that too these days.

I love pink, so next week should be fun. Rough is good and Ambience looks the beginning of a book cover for a horror novel.

1. Thanks April, I’m hoping I can find enough pink for 7 days!

If only we lived a few hundred miles closer to one another; you could borrow some of mine. I’d have to wave it at you out of a window, but there would be plenty of it.

1. Haha yes and maybe lend me pink stuff!

You know you want it 😉

7. Could Phl not have brought you a snake as well as flowers? Maybe he’ll surprise you with one….nothing says Valentine’s Day like a surprise snake, IMHO.

1. No snakes, no flowers, everyday is Valentines Day here so just a day like any other.

Getting a snake back in a cage is a pretty extreme example of being resourceful!
    I like the Lindor balls and snowy paths.
    (When and if I place the mouse on your ophotos, it does a strange ‘highlight’ thingy. They look normal if I keep the mouse away from the images. But otherwise, I don’t have the issue that Jo mentions.)

1. I think that is what’s going on, cheers Pete.

1. restlessjo says:

If I just scroll down from the margin it’s fine. Possibly my poor tired old laptop. Thanks, folks 🙂 🙂

9. A beautiful gathering from a week that looks cold to me – but I’ve got the feeling it isn’t as cold as I imagine. Ambience is so striking that I can’t explain why. Have a good week ahead and Happy Valentine’s Day.

1. Thanks Frank! It really was cold 🙂

10. Paul Simpson says:

Thanks for the pointer to Mr du Chemin. I need to step up on my photography skills. Your video of the sea shore was a nice spirit lifter!

11. I love the shot of the bullrushes. The contrast between them and the white snow is very appealing. I think the image would work just as well without the lensbaby effect, although it’s hard to say for sure.

12. Jennie says:

You nailed every one!! And each is beautiful.

13. Mary Smith says:

I love Spectacular – which could also double as Chilly – and Ambience.

14. Neat pictures! I fell the most for Chilly. The blues in that image! Wonderful.

15. Don Ostertag says:

So beautiful, Fraggle. I love your photos. ‘Ambience’ is outstanding in my eye.

1. Thanks Don! Hope you’re keeping well.

16. Beautiful wintry landscapes Fraggle. I especially love the beach.🥰

17. I love them all, but “ambience” is my favourite – I love that pocket of light created by someone’s greenhouse addition. Great week – good luck with ‘pink week’.

1. Thanks Connie, amazing how everyone likes best the one I like least! At least Pink can be done indoors 😊

18. Some great photos! I love the photo of you peaking through the frame!!

1. Thanks Marland 😊

19. -N- says:

Nice work here! I think you accomplished a lot given some of the challenges.

20. Mae Clair says:

All great photos. I think Ambience is my favorite. I can’t believe you can make something look so good and so moody with an iPhone.
    And thank you for the seashore sounds. Music to my ears!

21. Mary Jo Malo says:

Oh, these are all quite exquisite! I love the dark, moody ones as well as the bright, sunny pics. That’s life! 🙂

1. Thanks Mary Jo! It certainly is!

22. Elizabeth says:

All of them are stunning, the petal one is my favourite! I love close ups!

23. Great as always! What’s this snow stuff, looks like it has come back 😉

1. It did, and now it’s gone agagin!

24. richlakin says:

They’re great images. And thanks for sharing the sound of the sea. In landlocked Staffordshire we miss it so much

1. Thanks Rich, I am lucky to be in the sea’s vicinity!

The ambiance photo with the iPhone is wonderful, is a lovely time to live when any device is a good mate to register what we see : ) these challenges are squeezing every drop of creativity and, what is not strange considering what you did in other 365 projects, is also an adventure to see what you get from around you. Thank you, fragglerocking.

1. Yes it is a challenge to be in the same places and take different photos of the same things.

26. Looks like the 365 is challenging you with doing things you don’t really like to do. But being forced outside one’s secure box, is like candy for the creativity. I like your photos. 🙂

1. Cheers Otto, it is making me think and try hard to make a good photograph.

Greats shots, love the first macro and the moody monochrome house shot. One day I’ll get myself a nice macro lens, one day!

1. Save your pennies up 😊