For three days it rained non stop, right up to 11pm last night. Then we went to the kitchen about 11.30pm to make a cup of tea to take to bed and through the window we saw

Snow

It’s been a long time since we saw ‘proper’ snow and we ran to the conservatory and opened the door and stood watching, as big clumps of snowflakes floated to the ground, and stayed. It made us smile and wonder. The world was quiet all of a sudden, the traffic noises deadened in the whitening. I grabbed my phone to take some pictures, but it gives an other worldy orange filter to everything

So I took some from all our windows and converted them to black and white

We spent a long time watching it, and were glad that we could enjoy it and not have to go anywhere in the morning. But we got up this morning and it had gone. It left us as swiftly as it arrived, with only a vestige of it’s former self on the lawns and shed roofs. We sighed, our winter wonderland was a fleeting visitor, and I’m glad we didn’t miss it.

61 comments on “Midnight Snow

Similar to what happened here last week, before the rain washed it away. They are forecasting the ‘possibility’ of more this weekend though.

1. Our forecast says sunny and breezy, which is what’s been going on today, not exoecting anymore of the white stuff, but then we weren’t expecting it last night! Cheers Pete.

2. These looks like movie sets almost. Great work. Do you apply much manipulation to the photos after you take them?

I’m jealous about the snow! I’ve been wishing for about 4ft of it here, just so I can sit in the living room, read / write and be merry.

1. I just converted these to black and white, didn’t really do much else, the iPhone apps are pretty good. The photo’s I usually take are with my DSLR and i do a fair bit of faffography on them πŸ™‚ cheers S.D, hope you get your 4ft!

1. Cheers. 🀠

3. Beautiful, snow is magical, especially as it is falling! Great capture of your snowfall. Too bad it disappeared so quickly. C

4. Mary Smith says:

How lovely you were able to watch the snowfall and get some great photos. And to my mind, even lovelier it all disappeared overnight πŸ™‚

1. Thanks Mary yes it was all a bit magical. 😊

5. Nice πŸŒ¨β„β›„
    We had some last night as well; all but gone by morning though.

βœ¨πŸŒ»πŸŒΏπŸ™πŸ•‰πŸ€β™ΎπŸ•Šβ˜―πŸ™πŸŒΏπŸŒ»βœ¨

6. Don Ostertag says:

Since I live in MN all I can say is welcome to our world, Fraggle, even if was fleeting.

1. Yes Don, in truth I’d rather not have it when driving to work and back!

7. Denzil says:

Beautifully done.

8. Mae Clair says:

I love the hush that snowfall brings, especially when it happens at night. The photos are beautiful. I can feel the chill of winter on them.

We had a snow squall late yesterday morning. It didn’t last long but it made quite a sight from my office window.
    Stay warm!

1. Thanks Mae, will do! πŸ™‚

9. Lovely! I am sure you will get more, these things go in cycles πŸ˜‰

1. Oh once is enough I think 🀣 Cheers Steve

10. How pretty! I always love how quiet the world gets when it is snowing! I’m so happy you shared these images. I absolutely love the black & white! πŸ™‚

1. Thanks Connie! πŸ™‚

11. Glad you did not miss it!

1. Me too! Cheers Marland q

12. That’s the perfect amount of snow. Just enough to make everything magical, but not enough to cause back-breaking shoveling.☺️

1. Quite right! 😘

13. M.B. Henry says:

Wow! Can’t believe it vanished so quickly, good thing you snapped these gorgeous photos πŸ™‚

1. Thanks M.B quick draw McGraw moment!

14. Pit says:

I like the street view a lot: perfect in b&w As to the one with the red chair in the garden: have you ever tried Dina’s [https://fabfourblog.com/] idea of just having everything that is not red rendered in b&w, but keeping the red colour? Or like Roland does it here: https://wp.me/p8rIis-3hK

1. I have done selective colouring before Pit, not a huge fan of it but it might work for this. Cheers!

1. Pit says:

Usually I like just plain b&w better, too, but in just a few cases it can look good.

15. Paul says:

Yay! Snow at last!

It sounds like the snow we had — it came and went in a day.

1. and all completely gone now, sun’s out, blue skies!

1. Paul says:

But it’s always nice while it lasts

Very pretty. If it had snowed here last night there would still be signs of it, as it was -1 when I went out for my run.

1. Cheers April. Nothing left at all now.

17. Yup, we had the same kind of snow yesterday, gone by nightfall. But the snow from a couple of weeks ago lay for days, and required much gritting of the horses yard. Nice photos! Maybe give that plant a water!

1. The plant on the side in the kitchen? It’s a Christmas Cactus, it’s fine. Cheers!

18. We had the same exciting experience here in Bergen, Norway. A couple of weeks ago the sky opened up and just kept dumping snow. Then the temperature plummeted to -10 degrees (which is very unusual) and the winter stayed up until this weekend. Then it all rained away again. I just love winter – maybe because we don’t experience that much. I see the same excitement in this post.

19. Jennie says:

I love the Black and White photos. Perfect for the snow.

1. Thanks Jennie! πŸ™‚

1. Jennie says:

You’re welcome, FR.

20. Keith says:

Wowzer! The black-and-white is just stunning. Love it.

21. -N- says:

What a pleasure! We get rain today – finally. Funny how when there is too much of anything, we enjoy it when it goes away, and when it comes back. πŸ˜‰

1. Yes indeed! Cheers Mae πŸ™‚

22. Fraggle, your excitement and sense of wonder radiates from this post. Thank you for sharing this lovely moment with us. Hugs on the wing!

23. Magical… imagine if you had missed it?

1. I know!! But I suppose you don’t miss what you never had, though I think that’s the stupidest saying ever! 🀣🀣

1. Ya, it really is…ha ha

24. Elizabeth says:

There is no prize for the feeling of the first snow fall of the season, it’s like you said, the world has stopped.

1. It was all too brief though, cheers Elizabeth.

25. Ryan Garden says:

Love the photos, the black & white definitely adds to the atmosphere of them.

1. Thank you πŸ™‚

There’s something very mesmerising about snowfall. It’s been snowing most of the week here and I still love going out it or just watching it through the windows. Lovely shots.

1. Thanks Stevie, wish it was still snowing here!

27. Wakizashi says:

These are lovely! They make me feel all nostalgic for those rare nights we got snow back in Manchester. I get a lot more where I am living now, but not as much as places further up the north-western coast of Japan. The real “snow country.”

1. Hey! Thank for visiting Wakizashi-san!

28. Dina says:

Lovely!! I know the feeling and the excitement when snow comes. It stayed with us only for a short time, I’d love to see more of of the white stuff.