Part 1 HERE

After we rode on the train, Sophie and I photographed the WW2 re-enactors and bits and bobs around the station.

On guard duty

Taking a break

having a natter

East meets West

Captain Mainwaring

Airborn

Hearts and minds

Dad’s Army

Red Star

Relaxing Russkies

Sophie gets behatted

Catch!

Stay tooned for Part 3!

34 comments on “Aln Valley Railway – July 2019 – Part 2

Those ‘soldiers’ are getting on a bit now, but great to see them making the effort.
    I’m sure that Home Guard unit would have terrified the Germans! 🙂

1. Haha they’d be quaking in their boots! 😀

2. GP Cox says:

I love re-enactors! I believe that is the best way to teach people history, for the to witness an episode in person.

3. We had Dad’s Army on our tv in the seventees (and many repeats after that). I loved it and I can still sing the beginning tune. 🙂 When in a company of my generation somebody says: We arrrrre doomed, everyone starts to laugh. Great photographs by the way!

1. Thanks Peter, the ‘we’re doomed’ is never far from our lips here! 😊

4. -N- says:

I wonder why we do war re-enactments . . . war is so awful, but it brings people’s best qualities out, too. I’ve always admired the British and their hold-out and bravery during WW2 and Winston Churchill is a man I much admire. I love his speeches, and remember how sad I felt when he passed away in 1965. (Yes, I’m dating myself!) We do Civil War re-enactments here, and the costuming and equipment detail is amazing. Maybe the romance, too? A simpler age, a focus, a purpose bigger than the self?

1. Just adults dressing up 😊

5. Denzil says:

What are they filming? And do they ask you to star? 🌟 🎥

1. Haha no this isn’t a film set, just a WW2 thingy at the railway. The Heritage railway is all volunteers fixing up old steam trains so they are always doing things to pull people in, to try and get funds.

6. suzan khoja says:

It’s so nice to see them. Sometimes people just think of soldiers as machines who abide even the worst order passed to them but that’s not true. Great post, Fraggle. You are a great photographer.

1. suzan khoja says:

Welcome Fraggle. 🙂✌

I think some of those older gentlemen should have accepted their age gracefully and joined the LDV. I’m surprised there weren’t more women.

1. Had to google LDV but that only found light duty vehicles 🙄, ladies in the next instalment. Cheers April.

Local Defence Volunteers – which became the Home Guard.

8. Biker Rags says:

Wonderful captures! Especially love the lady with the picnic basket and red pants against the military outfits. Love ’em all!!!

Excellent work, both by the re-enactors and your work. The colors certainly are modern but they express very well the muted mood of photographs from those times (or at least what Hollywood has taught me as the mood of that time xP) Thank you, fragglerocking.

10. I like the off-moments you have captured,when the re-enactors have a pause from the re-enacting. Great images.

11. These are wonderful Fraggle. It really looks like you went back in time in most of these.

1. I think everyone there was living in the past! Bless!

12. Looks like quite an interesting time! You really catch the essence of the whole event.❤📸💯

Cool shots. I do enjoy these re-enactments; I love the effort people put into dressing up and being in character.

1. Me too, mad buggers, they always are happy to be photographed too, love’em.

Well, you wouldn’t go to all that trouble and then not want to show off your costume!