Today we are going to look at some of the listed buildings in Shrewsbury, most built between the late 14th and late 16th centuries.

Claim to fame

Tudor Rose

Holding Up!

Abide with Us

Up lifting

Some shots now from the Rollei SL35 with a roll of Kodak Portra in it.

The Square. Statue of Maj Gen. Robert Clive, conqueror of British India, was both an MP and mayor of the town.

Coffee House

Bear Steps.Β There was once a pub in Shrewsbury called The Bear, which no longer exists. However, across the road are the Bear Steps, which keep the name retained in Shrewsbury history.

Bear Steps Coffee House (nicer than Costa!)

Stay tooned, we’re not done yet πŸ™‚

33 comments on “Shrewsbury ~ November 2018 ~ part 2

1. Heyjude says:

Mmm… now you have got me. Where is the house with the writing on? Must have missed that.

1. Heyjude says:

Ah, got it I think. St Alkmund Square – the private house in the corner. Of course I didn’t go so close up to it to capture the detail πŸ˜€

1. Yes I think it was, not sure where we were most of the time, just wandered about πŸ™‚

Your black background shows up every speck, splash, and smear on my monitor screen! I just spent ages trying to clean it, using a lens-cleaning cloth. Now it’s all smeary! Grrr… Any ideas what is best to use for cleaning monitor screens?
    Nice shots, by the way. πŸ™‚

1. At work at the mo but I have screen cleaner at home that works, will get back to you on that later.

Thanks. Replying through the smears! 😦

1. Pete I can’t find my brand of screen cleaner on sale anywhere (I’ve had it a few years! πŸ™‚ but there are equivalents on amazon, so long as it says TFT/LCD screen cleaner on it you’ll get the right thing.

OK, thanks for that. πŸ™‚

What a cute little place. I’ve always had a fondness for Tudor style. Looking forward to …more:)!,,,,,

1. There’ll be some more next Monday πŸ™‚

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜˜

4. enmanscamera says:

Hey fragg.. great! I liked all your photos. However, the steps. The steps really set the age of that place. Perfectly. Not many would have thought to point their camera at that location.

1. Thanks again, they were cool to walk up and down!

The autumnal light obviously suits those buildings. They look gorgeous. I must definitely have a wander next time I’m there.

1. Yes do, it’s all lovely and so much history.

6. They knew how to make houses that stand out back in the 14th and 16th centuries. It’s mind bugling to think about how old these house are. And still beautiful and so well kept. Gorgeous photos as always.

1. Thanks Otto πŸ™‚

7. M.B. Henry says:

Beautiful! I’m always amazed at how old some of these buildings are and yet they still look so lovely and pristine!

1. Built to last! I don’t think my house will still be standing in 300 yrs time!

8. I didn’t know about Clive’s association with the place; an unpleasant man..!

1. I didn’t know him well πŸ˜€

1. Hohoho! Like it. More seriously, he makes today’s politicians seem like decent public servants.

1. Dear Lord, he must’ve been bad.

9. I’m glad to hear there is more to come, Fraggle. I can’t help being amazed by the idea of so many buildings that are that old, in one place. And still standing. It must have the most extraordinary “vibe.” I loved your photo of the Bear Stairs too.
    Hugs on the wing.

10. Eddy Winko says:

Loving the old ginnels in the town, and flag stones, and stone steps, and wonky buildings πŸ™‚

11. lolabees says:

Beautiful photos!

1. Thanks Laura 😘

12. I love all the detailing on the buildings!! πŸ’–

1. Thanks Nicole πŸ™‚

Ye Olde Costa Coffee! Again, fab shots and wonderful buildings and facias.