PART 1 HERE

On we go with some more pictures of the Vikings, or Northmen if you prefer, some more anglo–saxons I think. (Sometimes it’s hard to tell which are which). For the captions you need to have watched the TV series Vikings, sorry if you haven’t. (Really you haven’t ?? Have you been living under a rock?? Great TV programme, watch it now and then come back πŸ™‚ )

Not Bjorn & Lagertha

not Ragnar

maybe Rollo?

Definitely Ragnar!

Definitely Athelstan!

Little Bjorn

Off to do battle

Don’t shove so hard! It’s only pretend!!!

This game is a development of the popular Roman game of duodecim scripta, also known as tabula or alea, which was also played in Germany and Scandinavia in the Roman Iron Age, where it appears to have been known as katrutafl. Several wooden boards for this type of game are known from the Saxons’ Germanic homeland, and metal fittings for boards of this type have been found from the Viking Age in Germany and Denmark. The only known surviving British example of a tabula board was found in Gloucester; dating to the eleventh century.

authentic hair.

Pointy hat lady with 4 legged friend.

That about wraps up the Vikings and Anglo-saxons, stay tooned for another journey into the past next time!

35 comments on “Frontline~ Part 2~ June 2018

1. raistlin0903 says:

I was really looking forward to this post, and it did not disappoint. Those captions!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ (and yes, I guess you have your answer, I watch Vikings and I love the show! 😊😊😊). This was really a great post, and the pictures were wonderful. Also…I would have loved to play that game (considering my interest in boardgames 😊😊).

1. The game board was really neat, and they seemed to know how to play it, thanks Michel 😘

Nice shots as always, and I also got the captions. πŸ™‚

3. Great shots, I reckon I could rock it as a Viking.

1. Get your raid face on! 🀣

1. I’ll see what I can do.

2. Dina says:

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜‚

4. enmanscamera says:

Excellent photo story fragg… I always took forward to your essays.

1. Thanks N-man 😊

5. Eddy Winko says:

I got to season 2 then forgot about it, will have to check back in to see what happened, you are spot on with your captions πŸ™‚
    Looks like backgammon.

1. I thought backgammon too, maybe the precursor.

I managed to enjoy the pictures anyway!

7. joshi daniel says:

Nice moments πŸ™‚

I don’t watch The Vikings. It didn’t stop me enjoying the photos. πŸ™‚

9. M.B. Henry says:

I’m glad pointy hat lady found a friend πŸ™‚ Another great set of pics!

10. Love it!πŸ’– You always capture the best moments!πŸ’– xoxo!πŸ˜€

1. 😘 Thanks Book’em xx

1. You’re welcome!πŸ˜Šβ€πŸ’™

11. I agree with you. For me Vikings has been one of the best TV series in a long time – although after Ragnar’s “departure” it hasn’t quite been the same. Love these photos of yours. what a cool experience it must have been.

1. It was great Otto, lovely to see a herd of people all having a good time together from all walks of life.

12. Dina says:

I don’t know the TV series, but I’m familiar with Vikings. πŸ™‚ Lovely photos, FR. What makes such photo stories very hard to capture, are all the people not being dressed up, the people staring at their phones etc.

1. Yes, unavoidable sometimes at these events.

13. I’m just having too much fun with all the costumes! Although “Ragnar” doesn’t look like anybody to mess with. πŸ˜€ Hugs!

1. I thought so too, so took the shot sneakily!

1. Haha. I wondered. πŸ˜‰

14. Ha ha ha!! I think you started speaking in tongues while describing that game… I didn’t understand a word of it! Great pictures, though! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1. πŸ€£πŸ˜› tongues-R-us!

1. 🀣🀣🀣

Great shots. I haven’t seen the TV series, but I have been to the Jorvik Centre πŸ™‚