Part 1 HERE

After crossing the bridge we walked steadily down towards the burn (stream) and along the way I turned my lens on the little things along the way

Alien Landscape

Alien Eggs

Alien Forest

ancient bracket fungus

But also took some of the obviously very old trees

self-propping tree

Bushed!

Gnarly

On the way we came near to a road and could see this lovely building from it

Glimpsed

Crennelated Castle

Rowland Burdon III, a merchant banker, purchased the manor of Castle Eden in 1758, and in about 1765, with the assistance of architect William Newton, built the house which came to be known as The Castle. The house has three storeys and a seven-bay entrance front. The central three bays are canted and the whole carries a castellated parapet. Β Last October it was put up for sale for Β£3 million, some pictures of the interior are at THIS LINK,Β if anyone’s interested it’s still up for grabs! πŸ™‚

The whole of the dene was covered in wild garlic plants, I bet it smells great when they all bloom!

Garlic accompaniment

That’s the end of the tour, though there’s a full album, which can be found HERE

All photo’s can be clicked on to embiggen so you can marvel at their wondrousness 🀣

Stay tooned for our next outing, back to Beamish Museum to see WW1 themed vehicles and horses.

46 comments on “Castle Eden Dene~ April 2018 ~ Part 2

1. AK says:

Re: Glimpsed photo.
    You made me think of Whthering Heights. I really like the tree branches with the property in the background.

2. It does look like you were walking through an extremely interesting landscape.

1. It was, thanks VH πŸ™‚

I could go for that cosy castle. Now, where did I put that three million?,,,

1. Yes me too, shall we go halvo’s πŸ˜€

Lottery win! πŸ™‚ I will give you an ‘annexe’.

1. haha better than nothing πŸ™‚

4. Hyperion says:

The embiggenment really captivated me. And that tree with the big gnarly wizard beard. Whoa! That is an enchanted forest, no doubt.

1. Thanks, it felt like it!

5. Can’t get enough of your Macro shots. How magical ordinary objects turn into when shot up close. Lovely job.

1. Thanks Cindy, it’s like another world through that lens.

6. ortensia says:

Some of those pictures are surreal😍😍😍😍😍😍

7. These are gorgeous Fraggle and so apropos for Earth Day.😊

1. Thanks Kim, I’ve been taking shots of plastic pollution for earth day, it was everywhere on my walk yesterday 😦

8. These shots are so alive, Fraggle. Stunningly done. BTW, it’s Vinnieh here. I set up a second site for other things, but my main focus is movies.

1. Haha I should have known!

1. Yes it’s me, another incarnation but still me.

1. One and only πŸ™‚

9. Well, of course I had to click through to see what that sort of money can purchase me.

1. It is rather swish. 😊

1. I mean, I could probably cope if I had to live there.

1. Yes, I’d make do too!

I love the smell of wild garlic. I don’t want to think too much about the alien eggs, but the alien forest is stunning.

11. Wonderful. I especially like #1, #2 and #4.

1. Thanks Graham πŸ™‚

12. You really do take the most beautiful photographs. Must go – need to see about extending the mortgage a little to buy Castle Eden…

1. Thanks Mike, but there’s a queue now you know πŸ™‚

13. joshi daniel says:

Beautiful πŸ™‚

1. Thank you Joshi πŸ™‚

Alien eggs! Ack, you kill me!

Yeah, those macro shots are looking great. That tree looks insane!

16. Wow, Fraggle. Thank you for the tour. I got a kick out of all the alien shots. πŸ˜‰
    Seriously though, such a faery tale you wove here, from the enchanting (if not enchanted) forest to the magic of suddenly seeing the castle. Hugs!

1. Thanks Teagan πŸ™‚ hugs back!

17. It looks like a magical landscape. And beautifully photographed.

18. Thanks for this lovely tour, Fraggle.πŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ’™ 3 million! That # has me in shock!😨 But I understand history and whatnot is very important.😍

1. Haha history and whatnot is indeed very important. As is ice cream, Cava and chocolate. πŸ˜€

1. Yay! That Shit right there is very important, indeed!😍😘