Sophie and I finally got our trip to the Farne Islands a couple of weeks after the Bamburgh expedition. We’d wanted to go back as when we went in 2015 Sophie had forgotten her telephoto lens, and neither of us was any good at getting flying birds in focus, so a re-visit was in order.

Awaiting the boat our lunch was shared with a baby Starling, Mum on guard

Lovely blue skies as we sailed out of the harbour

but 15 mins out to sea and looking back to the shoreline, the clouds were gathering over Bamburgh Castle

but never mind the weather, we saw seals! lots of them!

Good Afternoon!

Seal-spat

snoozing

We three

Bird-poo rocks

It wasn’t me, honest!

All by myself

The sentinels

On to the puffins next time πŸ™‚

29 comments on “Fraggle Report~ Farne Islands July 2016 ~part 1

Despite the weather, you got some marvellous shots, FR. Love the colours on those seals, and looking forward to some cheeky puffins!

1. Thanks Pete, puffins always steal the show 😊

2. Fantastic, Fraggle. I love the black and whites of the castle approaching. Oh, I’m jealous! Looking forward to more. Nice job.

1. Thanks Cindy, 😊

3. Dina says:

Lovely impressions from the Farne Islands!! We are visitinglater this year and now I’m really looking forward to our boat trip and your puffin report. πŸ™‚
    Do we need to wear a hat, I wonder …

1. Definitely!! The arctic terns will attack you as you leave the boat if it’s in breeding season, which of course it will be if you are visiting June/July when the puffins are there. Good photo ops!

1. Dina says:

We are going middle of May. Does that mean NO PUFFINS???!! πŸ™‚

1. Lol no you will see Puffins in May 😊 they start arriving in April and the breeding season is May/June.

4. Eddy Winko says:

Nice look back at the castle, I especially like the second one.

1. Cheers Eddy 😊

The models loved to pose for you n_n (hoping you are doing well)

1. Thanks Francis, keeping busy πŸ™‚

6. Seals are so much fun to see out in the wild. I’m looking forward to the puffins.

(Also, you guys are still in our thoughts and prayers here – I’ve been thinking of you often.)

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Great contrast. Love that you got the seals to pose for you. Particularly love the nose above water one.

1. I like that one too, cheers Jay πŸ™‚

8. Wow the seals are fab!I see a lot of them in the water, never on land…great shots, love the poo rocks and guillemot…and Bamburgh…all great in fact, look forward to the next instalment!

1. Will be getting to the puffins at the weekend 😊

9. It’s good to know you finally made it out to Farne Island. And even got a different view of Bamburgh Castle. Those seals are cute, aren’t they. All photos are gorgeous.

1. Thanks Otto! πŸ™‚

10. enmanscamera says:

hey, what a great series..of course I like ’em all, but “bird-poo rocks” is my fav. hmm..maybe “the sentinels”…..Now I can’t make up my mind. I like ’em all.

1. Haha thanks N-man 😊

11. vinnieh says:

As always, your shots are magnificent.

1. Thanks V~man πŸ™‚

1. vinnieh says:

I’m always a lover of photos.

Beautiful shots. Seals are such weird looking creatures, like a dog stuffed into a sleeping bag! But very cute, nonetheless.

1. Haha aren’t they just, big teeth though!