Part 1 and Part 2

I’m back from Holland, and of course have come home with more photo’s to get through, so am finishing off my report on Howick Gardens so I’m not too behind.

After finding the ginormous leaves, we walked along the riverside to have a look at the church in the grounds.

Sluice gates on the river,

Sluice gates on the river,

fruits of the Big Leaves

fruit of the Ginormous Leaves

Bridge to the church

Bridge to the church

The church is a victorian building, and houses the tomb of the Prime Minister, 2nd Earl Grey, but other than that the interior was a bit boring to be honest. Outside was more interesting,

window

window

church door

church door

heads up

heads up

The small stone gargoyles on the exterior of the north wall were all carved by Maria, 3rd Countess Grey, who was a good amateur artist, but sadly she never got round to doing the south side.

Children didn’t always live too long in this era..

HHG-48

HHG-49

Lilian, aged 2, & Sylvia, born and died on the same day.

Lots of leaves to be found with rain drops decorating them..

HHG-50

HHG-51

HHG-55

HHG-56

and some really fine spidey webs..

HHG-53

HHG-52

After Church we went back to the Hall for lunch in the Earl Grey Tea House, which was beautiful

HHG-59

The Earl Grey Tea House

I had a rather lush duck & orange pate on toast …

HHG-58

And then back outside to walk it off and take a few more shots before going home.

HHG-57

HHG-60

eyeballing the competition

HHG-61

another big leaf

another big leaf

lost feather

lost feather

HHG-64

HHG-65

HHG-66

HHG-67

HHG-68

those were all taken with the Fuji XT1 using the 60mm macro lens (much maligned in the Fuji owners world!) and my 18-55mm zoom. But of course I always take the iPhone along and these next few are from the phone.

The Hall

Topless

OriginalPhoto-465574658.104243

OriginalPhoto-465574688.817994

pink hearts

OriginalPhoto-465575317.634283

IMG_4177

and that was the end of our day out.

Now to sort out my next lot of photo’s,

laters gaters

😉

23 comments on “The Howick Hall Gardens report ~ part 3

1. Very informative with excellent images. The leaves with water drops are gorgeous. Beautiful colors. Greetings. Reinhold

1. cheers Reinhold! I like them best 🙂

Oh what a great walk Fraggy. The lush greenery to start with .. We won’t see that again till may;) and I loved that window , oh and of course the gargoyles!!
    And such interesting grave sites?!
    Loved your macro work, I didn’t get to do too much of that on my recent adventure, being with the Hubby.. Gotta always hurry.. To go no where ;)) .
    I can’t wait to see Holland!!!! Thanks for taking us along 😘

1. Thanks Kathy, Holland looks much the same! Lots of autumnal colour, will be posting at the weekend 🙂

Looking forward to it , as always

3. MarySmyth says:

I loved so many that I can’t remember them all. I especially loved the one of the ornate church door, the gargoyles and the children’s graves. And oh my, the ones of the lush greenery were incredible too. I thoroughly enjoyed viewing them.

1. I did go over the top a bit 🙂 thanks Mary, glad you enjoyed them 🙂

OH my gosh, so many more pictures once again! I LOVE the church door. It almost looks like it’s gone mossy on the bottom.
    And the dew drop leaves – how clever.

1. Nature I think is quite clever on the whole. I sometimes think it’s a shame we came along to f**k it all up.

5. enmanscamera says:

Gosh, I really enjoyed this series fragg. You had me with the sluice gate wheels and as I slowly browsed I just kept having a good time looking and imagining.

1. Thanks Mr.E, glad you enjoyed the gardens! 🙂

6. Matt says:

Some beautiful photos (with a very sad story in the middle) and you made me very hungry for some duck. Thanks as always for sharing, Fraggle.

1. Cheers Matt, duck is fab, especially chinese style in pancakes with hoisin sauce and little shreds of spring onion & cucumber, pate is fine though 🙂

1. Matt says:

Can’t say I’ve ever tried it in pancakes with hoisin sauce before but it sounds delicious.

1. Can’t believe you are unaware of one of life’s great culinary masterpieces! Take yourself to the best Chinese restaurant that you know and order half a duck with pancakes. It’s like having a a party in your mouth.

7. Love the top shot – nice rusty tones and thread detail!

1. thanks, I thought you would like that one! 🙂

With such fantastic gardens and forests I understand why there are so fantastic creatures in the English mythology!

1. Yes I believe the perpetrators of legends and myths imaginations are inspired by their environments. 😊

And an amazing tradition of imaginators helps as well 😉

9. Your cover image for this post really caught my eye… fabulous!