Part 1

I’m going away for a couple of days tomorrow so thought I’d crack on with my Cathedral pictures.

Carved in stone

Carved in stone

This beautifully carved canopy belongs to the effigy of Bishop Lloyd and is made out of Alabaster by F.W.Pomeroy, 1856 – 26 May 1924, he was a prolific British sculptor of architectural and monumental works. Anyway it was staggeringly intricate and beautiful.

Ncle CAth-35

detail

detail

One of the memorials in the cathedral is a 13th century effigy of an unknown knight, probably a member of the household of Edward 1st.

Unknown Knight

Unknown Knight

Another effigy, can’t remember who of though! He looks peaceful.

Lord Collingwood.

More memorials, amazing craftwork to carve marble and stone so realistically.

Ncle CAth-32

Ncle CAth-12

Ncle CAth-17

Mini people

The ceiling above the font (see part 1), you can see the chain the font hood hangs from.

Looking up

Looking up

The brass eagle lectern dates from the early 16th C and is said to be one of the finest of the 45 lecterns of this type in Britain – it is certainly the only pre-Reformation lectern in the north of England.

eagle

16th century eagle

Beautiful carved woodworks…

A merhorse!

A merhorse!

Mr.Grumpy

Mr.Grumpy

angels

angels

Heads in the walls..

Ncle CAth-20

Ncle CAth-21

and a few bits and bobs..

Candlelight

Candlelight

Bible

Bible

stacked

stacked chairs

and finally the clock

tick tock

tick tock

and thats the lot from the Cathedral, still got the castle and Out & About shots to come, but I’m off down south tomorrow, looking forward to seeing Ben & Lewis and going out with Helen on Saturday with cameras, looking forward to that!

laters gaters

😉

refs:

st nicholas cathedral newcastle

wiki

15 comments on “Fraggles Newcastle Upon Tyne Reprt~The Cathedral – part 2

Wow!!!!! I mean WOW!! I can’t believe there are still building like this .. From the 26 th century ?? Amazing one pic more beautiful than the next Fraggy!! I am truly in awe!!! My next thought us.. Glad I don’t have to clean it 😂.
    Excellent captures Fraggy!! Please have a safe trip and a fun time looking forward to your pics and your time with Helen , enjoy 😘

1. I’m so lucky to live near so much history. Thanks Kath ❤️❤️

Yes u are , and it sure helps that your a great photog!!!!!😘

1. Aw blushing now 😊

Nice photographs of the architectonic details Fragglerocking ☺ for some mysterious reason I feel attracted to the stacked chairs… I couldn’t say why. Wish you a great time in the Saturday.

1. Thanks Francis 🙂

3. Pam Huggins says:

Gorgeous shots!!!!!
    Have fun on your trip. Can’t wait to see the pics. 🙂

4. Mél@nie says:

splendid as usually… 🙂 if you ever come to France, go to Albi(1h-drive from Toulouse) and visit its famous cathédrale-basilique Sainte-Cécile, unique in the world!!!

1. looks amazing, I’ve been to France several times, and to Toulouse but will have to put this on the list for next time!

5. melissajane14 says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a merhorse before…I wonder who conjured that one up in his/her imagination… It’s such a beautiful place. I’m curious as to why all of the figures and statues look grumpy, miserable or austere.
    Your photos are great! Thanks for taking the time to share 🙂

1. Cheers Melissa. Some of these monuments are of ‘serious’ important people, doing good works was a serious business! Hopefully they had a laugh in the safety of their own homes. 🙂